lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: Newbie Questions
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:47:28 GMT
On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 12:53  AM, Mark Woon wrote:
> 1) How can I search all fields at the same time?  The QueryParser
> seems to only search one specific field.

The common thing I've done and seen others do is glue all the fields
together into a master searchable field named something like "contents"
or "keywords" (be sure to put a space in between text so it can be
tokenized properly).

> 2) How can I automatically default all searches into fuzzy mode?  I
> don't want my users to have to know that they must add a "~" at the
> end of all their terms.

Your description of searches for "cancer" finding "cancerous" isn't
really what the fuzzy query is about.  What you're after, I think, is
more the stemming algorithms used during the analysis phase.  Have a
look at the SnowballAnalyzer in the Lucene sandbox.  There is a little
bit about it in the article I wrote for - it
definitely sounds like more work in the analysis phase is what you're

View raw message