lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Index on NFS Server
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:08:03 GMT
I don't know the details of how lock files are unreliable over NFS, only
that they are.  The window of vulnerability, when the lock file is used,
is when one JVM is opening all of the files in an index, and another is
completing an update at the same time.  If the updating machine removes
some files after the opening machine has read the 'segments' file but
before it has opened all of the files, then the open will fail with a
FileNotFound exception.  If your application can guarantee that indexes
are not opened while an update is completing (under IndexWriter.close()
or IndexReader.close() for deletions) then this will not be a problem.

Doug