lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Re: parallel index building & searching multiple indexes
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:50:27 GMT
Killeen, Tom wrote:

>I am attempting to create approx 10 different Lucene indexes.  I'm trying to
>create them at the same time by running multiple processes and each index is
>written to a new directory.  Once I create more than one process - the
>performance is very, very slow.

If they are IDE disks you should NOT try to build multiple indexes at
once since your disks will bottleneck.

If you are using SCSI/Fibre disks you should be able to write out
multiple indexes at once but you should benchmark it to make sure that
it is in fact faster.

Kevin

--

Help Support NewsMonster Development!  Purchase NewsMonster PRO!

    http://www.newsmonster.org/download-pro.html

       AIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://www.peerfear.org/
GPG fingerprint: 4D20 40A0 C734 307E C7B4  DCAA 0303 3AC5 BD9D 7C4D