lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <>
Subject Re: parallel index building & searching multiple indexes
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:50:27 GMT
Killeen, Tom wrote:

>I am attempting to create approx 10 different Lucene indexes.  I'm trying to
>create them at the same time by running multiple processes and each index is
>written to a new directory.  Once I create more than one process - the
>performance is very, very slow.
If they are IDE disks you should NOT try to build multiple indexes at
once since your disks will bottleneck.

If you are using SCSI/Fibre disks you should be able to write out
multiple indexes at once but you should benchmark it to make sure that
it is in fact faster.

Help Support NewsMonster Development!  Purchase NewsMonster PRO!

       AIM - sfburtonator,  Web -
GPG fingerprint: 4D20 40A0 C734 307E C7B4  DCAA 0303 3AC5 BD9D 7C4D
  IRC - #infoanarchy | #p2p-hackers | #newsmonster

View raw message