lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Eric Isakson" <Eric.Isak...@sas.com>
Subject RE: doc number as integer
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:52:38 GMT
I remember this coming up before...long causes thread saftey issues...

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-09-1997/jw-09-raceconditions.html

I couldn't find anything on sun's java site to reference, but I didn't look to hard.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Neil [mailto:neil@ipdevco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 1:40 PM
To: lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: doc number as integer

It seems that since the index document number value is a positive int, this restricts the
number of documents in an index to ( 2^31 - 1 ) = 2,147,483,647.

Do I misunderstand?

I mean, that's enough for me, but it seems a kind of surprising restriction, considering long
could be used instead for unimaginably large numbers of documents.  Well, I grant I probably
can't imagine 2 billion documents either, but google can.

Just curious, sorry to bother anyone.

Neil