lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Roger Ford <roger.f...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Indexing very large sets (10 million docs)
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:01:28 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

> For batched indexing I recommend: (1) increasing mergeFactor somewhat,
> depending on how many indexed fields you have; (2) adding all of your
> documents; and (3) optimizing once at the end.

Thanks for all the advice on this. I did as Doug suggested, and the
indexing completed in around 13 hours, without using an excessive
amount of disk space.

I do have another problem: running multi-user tests - four "users"
all firing off queries one after the other - I hit this exception
at the start of one run:

   caught a class java.io.IOException
   with message: Timed out waiting for
   Lock@E:\Lucene_Index\Index0001\commit.lock

Can anyone explain what's happening here - why does it need a lock
in order to READ the index? Is there something I should be doing different?

Thanks,

Roger