lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Indexing very large sets (10 million docs)
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:26:33 GMT
Ryan Clifton wrote:
> You seem to by implying that it is possible to optimize very large indexes.  My index
has a couple million records, but more importantly it's about 40 gigs in size.  I have tried
many times to optimize it and this always results in hitting the Linux file size limit.  Is
there  a way to get around this?  I have the merge factor and max merge docs set, but the
optimization process seems to ignore those fields.

On Redhat 8.0 I have built indexes whose total size is 49GB and whose
largest file (the .prx) is 28GB.  I haven't yet tried to build anything
larger, so I don't know exactly where the limit is.

Doug