lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Roger Ford <roger.f...@oracle.com>
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:23:15 GMT
I'm trying to index 10 million small XML-like documents, extracted
from an Oracle database.

Lucene version is 1.2, and I'm using RedHat 7.0 Advanced Server,
on an AMD XP1800+ with 1GB RAM and 46GB+120GB hard disks. The
database is on a separate machine, connected by thin JDBC.

Each document consists of around 10 fields of the form

<key>0001234567</key>
<field1>some text</field1>
<field2>more text</field2>
<field10> again</field10>

Each document is typically only around 2K in size. Each field is
free-text indexed, but only the "key" field is stored.

After experimenting, I've set
   Java memory to 750MB
   writer.mergeFactor = 10000
   - and run an optimize every 50,000 documents to try to keep down the
number of open files.

So far, the furthest I've managed to get is 3 million docs,
which used

   22,913 simultaneous open files (the maximum on Windows is 2035!)
   Up to 79 GB of disk space
   Around 18 hours of indexing time

Is what I'm trying to do realistic?  Does anyone else have experience
of indexing collections this large?

My indexing code, which is based on the simple file demo, can be seen
at http://www.rogerford.info/docs/IndexDBData_java.txt

- Many thanks,

Roger.