lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Peter Becker <pbec...@dstc.edu.au>
Subject Re: Spanish analyzer and Indexing StarOffice docs
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:31:49 GMT
Hi Oscar,

we have been looking into the StarOffice/OpenOffice problem, although we
haven't done it and probably won't anytime soon as we have to move on to
other things. I see two approaches, both with variants:

(1) use the fact that it is just zipped XML: use a ZipInputStream to
open the files and parse the XML contents. You can use the standard
approaches for parsing XML or you can tweak it. It might be worthwhile
to look only at the contents part for the body indexing and try to be
smart about the metadata information while ignoring the layout bits.
Should be relatively easy since all these parts are in separate files.

(2) use the UDK (http://udk.openoffice.org/). Drawbacks: even though it
seems documented its sheer size will make it a bit hard to get into. You
will also have to deploy a large library which is not pure Java.
Advantages: you will not only get the SO/OOo documents as good as the
programs parse them themself, but also everything they can import. And
that will be way better than anything we could get so far for Word
documents. A UDK-based document parser would most likely be the killer
for enterprise document indexing -- you wouldn't need much more if
anything at all.

We might actually still go for (1) since that is really easy, but we
don't have the time for (2). Although we'd love to have it, so if you go
for it tell us :-)

HTH,
   Peter

Oscar Herrera wrote:

>Hi. I'd like to know if some of you could help me finding a spanish analyzer (free if
possible). I'd also like to know how can I index a file made on StarOffice 5.x (.sdw and .sdx
files), I've been looking on google for them but I have not found anything about this,