lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Claes Holmerson <claes.holmer...@polopoly.com>
Subject Understanding how indexing works
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:36:55 GMT
Hi,

In my job, I have become the new maintainer of a search feature that
uses Lucene. I am trying to understand how it works by examining the
index it produces.

When I list index fields by opening an IndexReader, looping over
documents, then looping over fields with Document.fields(), I see a
number of fields. However, I don't see the fields that are searchable
within this document.

If I do IndexReader.terms() directly and then Term.field() on each term,
I see fields that no longer should exist since the documents containing
them have been deleted. Is this like it should be?

How can I easily tell if a term is no longer searchable (or rather
successfully found, when searching), apart from actually doing the
search? Is there a way to list those terms?

Thanks,
Claes

--
Claes Holmerson
Polopoly - Cultivating the information garden