lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <t...@hypermall.net>
Subject Re: Multiuser environments
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:17:42 GMT
On Monday 14 July 2003 08:52, Guilherme Barile wrote:
> Hi
>     I'm writing a web application which will index files using
> textmining to extract text and lucene to store it. I do have the
> following implementation questions:
>
> 1) Only one user can write to an index at each time. How are you people
> dealing with this ? Maybe some kind of connection pooling ?

Two obvious candidates are locking bottleneck methods and doing index
writing in a critical section, or having a background thread that does
reindexing, and other threads add requests to a queue. In CMS I'm working we
are doing the latter (so as not to block actual request threads which could
happen with first approach, adding/deleting documents is done as
post-processing when documents are created/edited/deleted).

In either case you usually have a singleton instance that represents the
search engine functionality (assuming single index), and from there on it's
reasonably easy to reuse IndexReader as necessary.

-+ Tatu +-