lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ype Kingma <ykin...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: Advice on updating an index?
Date Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:18:42 GMT
Reece,

On Friday 11 July 2003 16:05, Wilton, Reece wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the logic for deleting
> documents from an index.  Any advice is appreciated!

<snip 75% of the experiments>

> 4) I created an index with an IndexWriter and then optimized it and
> closed it.
> For each document:
> - I create a new IndexReader, delete the document and close the
> IndexReader
> - I create a new IndexWriter, add the document and close the IndexWriter
> At the end I open the index with an IndexWriter and then optimize it and
> close it.
>
> This works!  But it is pretty slow (compared to the other three tests).
> Is this the best way of doing this?

AFAIK, yes.
You can speed this up by using multiple documents, ie. use
a document set.
Also, you don't need to close the index writer before optimizing.

One variation: you might leave the IndexReader open in case you
need it for searching, but I wouldn't recommend that under Windows
because there an open file cannot be deleted from a directory.
Lucene deletes such files during later optimizations.

Kind regards,
Ype