lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ali Rouhi <sro...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Query across multiple fields scenario not handled by "MultiFieldQueryParser"
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 00:23:02 GMT

--- Victor Hadianto <victorh@nuix.com.au> wrote:
> > I need to perform a search for an expression in
> > multiple fields "as if" they were one field.
>
> Depending on your time requirment, you can as you
> have suggested yourself
> write your own QueryParser. However a simple hack
> will be to have an "all"
> field and simple reindex the data in F and G to this
> "all" field.

We have thought of this - but we index an enormous
amount of data (Terabytes distributed across many
linux boxes) and would prefer to save the disk space.
However we may indeed end up doing what you suggest.

> > little JavaCC expertise. Suggestions for solving
> the
> > problem at a higher level than the QueryParser are
> of
> > course also very welcome.
>
> Well this is definitely not "higher" level than
> QueryParser :)

This in itself is useful to know. I can now justify
having to learn JavaCC to my boss:).

Thanks
Ali