lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Morus Walter <morus.wal...@tanto-xipolis.de>
Subject Re: Lucene Index on NFS Server
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:53:46 GMT
Hi Jan,

thanks for your answer.

> What part of the webserver are you expecting that will fail? The service or
> the computer? Why would the computer hosting NFS be less likely to fail than
> your computer hosting the webserver?

The computer.
Of course you're right with the nfs server. That's one drawback, but the
idea is to have a RAID system, that might be switched to another maschine,
if the first maschine fails. If the RAID system has enough internal
redundancy it's failure should be reasonable improbable.
It remains a single point of failure though.

This is not about a very high availablity solution.
We just want to have a bit more than just relying on one maschine.
Scenarios like manual switches, if a machine fails, are ok.

> You could use JMS to communicate updates to the to webservers? Or use a

So far I thought about simple http calls, to send the import/delete
requests to the webservers. They are servlet servers anyway.
What improvements would you expect from using JMS?

> distributed FS on the to computers hosting the webservers (and not using a
> 3. computer)?

That's an interesting idea. Unfortunately we don't have any experience
with such a setup. Any suggestions for intel/linux?

And how reliable is such a solution with respect to consistency of the
lucene index. I mean in this szenario one of the webservers would do the
import. Would it be safe to simply reopen searchers on the other webserver?
Basically that's the same question as for the nfs server.

greetings
	Morus