lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Morus Walter <morus.wal...@tanto-xipolis.de>
Subject Re: Can I do this with Lucene ?
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:24:58 GMT
Hi Francesco,

> I'd like to implement a search engine and I'd like to know if it's possible to
> do it with Lucene.
> I have many text files containing faqs, every faq has a text file.
> Inside the file questions are listed with a delimiter (I use # but it can by any)
>
> #Question1
> bla bla bla bla
>
> #Question2
> bla bla bla bla
>
> ...and so on....
>
> Now I'd like something that search for words inside the faqs and RETURNS THE BLOCK
> where it was found (#Question1 bla bla bla bla)....in other words I want to retrieve
> a single faq using a search engine.
>
> I didn't see anything like this in the docs....just something that return the number
of hits
> of a search.....can Lucene do it for me easily or it's better to write it on my own using
> standard Java I/O Api ?

Well lucene indexes units of text as you provide them.
So if you make each question a document in lucenes sense you will get
the question and any info you stored with it (eg. faq-file and question
number).
Seems straight forward to me.

There is no need that files and documents in lucene have a 1:1 relation.

HTH
	Morus