lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Aviran Mordo" <>
Subject RE: keyword indexing
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:23:03 GMT
If you are searching on keyword you might need to use TermQuery in order
to have an exact match

-----Original Message-----
From: Jan Agermose []
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 1:04 PM
Subject: keyword indexing

I'm having some problems with chars in keywords that are not a-z0-9

If I have a keyword like "Det Naturvidenskabelige Fakultet" or a name
"Jan Agermose" - well besides the fact I need to lowercase the keywords
as the querystring is lowercased by lucene, I still cannot get any hits
on the keywords.

"Det Naturvidenskabelige Fakultet" - hits = 0
Det* - hits!
Det Naturvidenskabelige Fakultet - hits = 0

I can understand the last one - but shouldn't the first one return hits?
If not, using keywords seems to be limited to keywords composed of
[a-z0-9]+ ???

Now I do a string replace on [^a-z0-9]+ / "" (removing all the chars)
but this gives the queryparse some problems I would think - unless in my
special case where the user is not really free to compose queries on
there own - therefore I can do the same stringreplace thing on the input
:-D But I would like for the poweruser to input real queries - and this
leaves me with the problem of parsing queries. I need to do
stringreplace only within double quotes... This should be lucenes
problem not mine :-D

Am I missing something ??

Jan Agermose

To unsubscribe, e-mail: