lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Miller" <chris_overs...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: commercial websites powered by Lucene?
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 16:15:49 GMT
Thanks for the pointers, and rest assurred we are looking into such
approaches. However the data that we have is coming in from a wide variety
of customers and is unfortunately not nearly as structured as we would like
(and we are powerless to change that). So while we do have some fields that
are database-friendly, a large portion of what we have to search against is
plain text, which is why I'm looking into Lucene as a possible solution. To
be honest I'm still a bit torn between using a database or Lucene for
searching since the data we have falls into the grey area between the two.
Once we have decent proof-of-concepts up and running of each approach I
guess a clearer picture will emerge.

I'm not clear on why you think we'll soon be back up to the same load on the
DB server? What is going to increase the load? Our volume of data is not
increasing, all that will change is that the DB will no longer get hit for
searches. We'll still be pulling content etc from the database at roughly
the same rate, but that doesn't appear to be a source of any problems.
Whether we offload the searching to MySQL DBs or Lucene makes no difference
as far as I can see.