lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: AW: AW: Analyzers, Queries: three questions
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:28:19 GMT
Karsten Konrad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> field contents indexed with Field.text are stored
> verbatim in the index - thus, you can get back the
> original text when you access it using stingValue().

Ok, gotcha, I can only get back those fields, whose content is actually
stored in the index.

> This has nothing to do with how the text is
> indexed, i.e., how it is tokenized and stored into
> the index. You probably have a token "workers" and
> one "howto", both pointing to this text (that's why
> it is called an inverted index, the words point to
> the text). Your analyzer does this tokenization
> for you.

Ok, is there a way to retrieve the content of the whole index? If I can
print it out, it becomes much easier to understand what is going on.

> If you search using the query parser, you
> can only do this on indexed fields, e.g.,
> those indexed with Field.text or Field.UnStored.
> If you store a text as a keyword,
> you must construct a TermQuery and search
> with it. Thus, you would actually get a
> term ("title", "Workers HowTo").

Ok, so I would only do this when searching in time fields or url fields
or such. In the light of your explanations I think that the title field
should be tokenized and indexed just like the contents.

Thank you very much for your help,

Ulrich