lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Maurice Coyle <>
Subject Re: lucene web demo
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:10:12 GMT
have you tried running the command with the full path to the index

C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.6\webapps\ROOT>java org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML -
create -index C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.6\webapps\index ..

-------Original Message-------
From: Lucene Users List
Date: 18 June 2003 14:00:47
Subject: lucene web demo

I'm in the "Indexing Files" part in the Lucene web demo.
I have setup tomcat correctly.

In the page it's written:

Once you've gotten this far you're probably itching to go. Let's start by
creating the index you'll need for the web examples. Since you've already
your classpath in the previous examples, all you need to do is type "java
org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML -create -index {index-dir} ..". You'll need
do this from a (any) subdirectory of your {tomcat}/webapps directory (make
you didn't leave off the ".." or you'll get a null pointer exception).
dir} should be a directory that Tomcat has permission to read and write, but
outside of a web accessible context. By default the webapp is configured to
look in /opt/lucene/index for this index.

I don't really understand the instruction...I have created a directory
called "index" in C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.6\webapps

Tomcat is installed in: C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.6

The command I write is:
C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.6\webapps\ROOT>"java org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML
create -index index .."

ERROR message:

This mail sent through IMP:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: