lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From di99...@student.bth.se
Subject how lucene search?
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:07:26 GMT
Hi.

I have read some documents about lucene. I have questions about how lucene
search for matching words.

I think I got it wrong, but here is what I get out of the text I read:
Documents contents fields. In one of the field-value there are terms that are
searchable. When the searched term is found in the field it returns the field
which says where the document is.

Questions:
To search if there are more terms that match, you have to search through all
documents??????
So every time you search for a word you have to search through all documents??

I thought that when you create a inverted index, you go through all words in
the documents and make a list. The list contents words that only appeare once
in the list. Each word in the list points out those documents that content that
word. And there are a table that says where every document is located. In this
way you don't have to search through all documents everytime you do a search.

I'm confused...
sorry for my English