lucene-java-user mailing list archives

Subject how lucene search?
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:07:26 GMT

I have read some documents about lucene. I have questions about how lucene
search for matching words.

I think I got it wrong, but here is what I get out of the text I read:
Documents contents fields. In one of the field-value there are terms that are
searchable. When the searched term is found in the field it returns the field
which says where the document is.

To search if there are more terms that match, you have to search through all
So every time you search for a word you have to search through all documents??

I thought that when you create a inverted index, you go through all words in
the documents and make a list. The list contents words that only appeare once
in the list. Each word in the list points out those documents that content that
word. And there are a table that says where every document is located. In this
way you don't have to search through all documents everytime you do a search.

I'm confused...
sorry for my English

This mail sent through IMP:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: