lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "David Medinets" <medi...@mtolive.com>
Subject Re: commercial websites powered by Lucene?
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:42:06 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Miller" <chris_overseas@hotmail.com>
> Did you look at having just a single process that was responsible for
> updating the index, and then pushing copies out to all the webservers? I'm
> wondering if that might be worth investigating (since it would take a lot
of
> load off the webservers that are running the searches), or if it will be
too
> troublesome in practice.

I've found that pulling information from a central source is simpler than
pushing information. When information is pushing, there is much
administration on the central server to track the recipient machines. It
seems like servers are added and dropped from the push list. Additionally,
you need to account for servers that stop responding. When information is
pulled from the central source, these issues of coordination are eliminated.

David Medinets
http://www.codebits.com