lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Brian Mila" <bm...@iastate.edu>
Subject misspelled queries
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:53:40 GMT
Hi,

I've been thinking about trying to implement a misspelled or a similarity
match, ala googles "did you mean this ....".  I was thinking of using
SoundEx or one of the newer algorithms to find appropriate suggestions.  To
do this though I think I would need to enumerate every term in the index,
not a pratical solution I suppose.   Has anyone else attempted this or had
any success with this idea?

 My only other idea would be to generate the SoundEx codes for every term as
its indexed and then add those codes to the index in a different field.
(fyi, here's a
link that explains SoundEx with example code:
 http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/soundex.asp?target=soundex).
Then the query would search the regular fields and then form a second
soundex'd query and run it on the soundex field.  Does this sound plausible?
I'd be really interested to hear results if anyone has tried this before.

Regards,
Brian