lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Nader S. Henein" <...@bayt.net>
Subject RE: commercial websites powered by Lucene?
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:53:34 GMT
I have to store the information I am indexing in the database because
the nature of our application requires it, on update of certain columns
in a table I create an XML file which is then copied to directories on
each of my web servers, then separate lucene apps, running on separates
machines digest the information into separate indices, you also have to
provide procedures that will run periodically to ensure that all you
indices are in sync with each other and in sync with the DB ( I run this
once every three days when the CPU usage on the machines is low)

To update the index I have a servlet running off a scheduler in Resin
(you could use any webserver, Orion's cool too), the up-side to
distributing your search engines like this is that you have three active
back ups in case one got corrupted (hasn't happened in two years), and
the load on each machine is pretty low even during updates/optimizations
every 20 minutes.

If the server crashes, it's not  a problem unless it happens
mid-indexing, then you have to somehow remove the write locks created in
the index directory ( I just delete them, optimize, and re-start the
update that crashed)

Lucene destroyed Oracle on speed tests and we use to have to use our
single DB monster machine for all the searching and indexing which made
the load on it pretty high, but now I have 0.5 loads on all my CPUs and
no need to buy new hardware