lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Hui Ouyang" <...@triplehop.com>
Subject RE: name search from Oracle to Lucene
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 16:57:56 GMT
Lucene is one solution. Join the results from Oracle SQL query and Lucene may be an issue(at
least from performance point view).
 Another solution is Oracle intermedia full text engine which allows you to do full text indexing
on one column.

Regards,
Hui Ouyang

	-----Original Message-----
	From: david chan [mailto:david_tomcat@yahoo.com]
	Sent: Tue 5/13/2003 11:56 AM
	To: Lucene Users List
	Subject: name search from Oracle to Lucene

	Hi,
	 I have a table with more than 1 million records, I
	need to some search on these three fields: firstname,
	lastname, nickname
	 Now when I try to search these names from Oracle with
	some keyword "like%", or function for "upper" to
	ignore case compare, these kind of query become very
	slow even these name fields are indexed. One reason is
	because these function "like", "upper" not using the
	 I wonder it can be done better in Lucene, anyone can
	give me some idea how name search (partial name
	search, firstname search, lastname search, nickname
	search, or combination search) can be done?
	 I am thinking to dump this big oracle table to a
	plain text file, then read in and index by using
	Lucene. But now sure how to arrange these fields to
	get a good/fast result.

	Thanks.
	David