lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Venkatraman, Shiv" <Shiv.Venkatra...@broadvision.com>
Subject RE: searching data indexed from database??
Date Sat, 31 May 2003 15:31:10 GMT
Thanks. That's what I suspected and was hoping that wasn't the case. Won't
this lead to duplication of data during indexing -- one piece under the
specific field ("Product") and the same one (along with others) under the
default field ("contents")?

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry Steichen
To: Lucene Users List
Sent: 5/31/03 8:06 AM
Subject: Re: searching data indexed from database??

Shiv,

Searching in Lucene is field-based.  Thus you must specify the field to
be
searched - the only 'exception' is that one field is defined as default.
If
you want to search across multiple fields, I believe you must create a
concatenation of the individual fields into a single one during the
indexing
process (eg. productName+" "+productDesc), and then use that as the
basis of
your subsequent searches.

HTH,

Terry