lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From news...@hotu.com
Subject query matching all documents
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 23:50:02 GMT

Is there a query object which can match all documents?

As an example, suppose my search supports zero or more search criteria.
Each criteria, if specified, is required to match the document.  If no
criteria are specified, all documents should be returned.  Here's an
example (NullQuery is an imaginary class which represents the query type
I'm looking for):

query.add(new NullQuery(), true, false);
if (criteria1exists) {
  query.add(..., true, false);
}
if (criteria2exists) {
  query.add(..., true, false);
}

Without line 2, if no criteria is specified, no documents will be
returned.  Apparently, a boolean query with no boolean elements matches
zero documents.  In my opinion, it would have made more sense for it to
match all documents, since each boolean element represents a constraint,
and no constraints implies all documents.  But for clarity, maybe there
should be an AllQuery and a NoneQuery which match all documents and no
documents respectively.

But back to reality, is there a way to achieve this with the existing
query classes?  I'd prefer not to add a dummy field to search by, as
this is not efficient.

Thanks,
Jim