lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Borkenhagen, Michael (ofd-ko zdfin)" <Michael.Borkenha...@ofd-ko.fin-rlp.de>
Subject AW: Using lucene with HSSF from Apache
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 07:23:55 GMT
You should have read the HSSF javadoc more thoroughly; I think that´s a
Question for POI users, but I´d like to help you anywy.
I´d extract the text form an Excel Sheet like this :

public Reader getText(File f) throws IOException {
 StringBuffer contentBuffer = new StringBuffer();
    HSSFWorkbook wb = new HSSFWorkbook(new FileInputStream(f));
    int numberOfSheets = wb.getNumberOfSheets();
    for (int i = 0; i < numberOfSheets; i++) {
      HSSFSheet sheet = wb.getSheetAt(i);
      int numberOfRows = sheet.getLastRowNum();
      for (int j = 0; j < numberOfRows; j++) {
        HSSFRow row = sheet.getRow(j);
        if (row != null) {      // empty lines : null :(
          Iterator it = row.cellIterator();
          while (it.hasNext()) {
            HSSFCell cell = (HSSFCell)it.next();
            int type = cell.getCellType();
            if (type == HSSFCell.CELL_TYPE_STRING) {
              contentBuffer.append(cell.getStringCellValue());
              contentBuffer.append(Konstanten.BLANK);
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }
    String contentAsStr = contentBuffer.toString();
    // create a tmp output stream with the size of the content.
    ivContents = contentAsStr.getBytes();
    return new InputStreamReader(new ByteArrayInputStream(ivContents));
}

Michael