lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <t...@hypermall.net>
Subject Re: Lucene & EJBs
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 14:00:39 GMT
On Monday 26 May 2003 07:37, Guilherme Barile wrote:
> You could use lucene as an alternative to realtinal databases (for
> documents).
> I have something in mind that could run on a j2ee server, with
> distributed objects and all that stuff.

I think question kind of still stands, since J2EE does not really mean (just)
EJB, but complete set of APIs, from servlets and JSPs to JNDI and EJB.
I was also bit curious about EJB aspect; perhaps implementation would be
needed to more easily access Lucene functionality from app that is based on
EJB? On the other hand, if system is nicely modularized and perhaps
distributed, that wouldn't be a requirement? (ie. it's possible to make
things co-exist).

On the other hand, having dummy implementation of JDBC-driver for Lucene might
be interesting... (related to your first point of using Lucene as replacement
for RDBs) after all, Lucene's (user visible) data model should map quite
easily to a table, and implementing metadata methods should be trivial from
that.
Not sure how easy it'd be to map queries, but for certain subset that might be
possible too. :-)

-+ Tatu +-