lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From david chan <david_tom...@yahoo.com>
Subject name search from Oracle to Lucene
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 15:56:55 GMT
Hi,
 I have a table with more than 1 million records, I
need to some search on these three fields: firstname,
lastname, nickname
 Now when I try to search these names from Oracle with
some keyword "like%", or function for "upper" to
ignore case compare, these kind of query become very
slow even these name fields are indexed. One reason is
because these function "like", "upper" not using the
 I wonder it can be done better in Lucene, anyone can
give me some idea how name search (partial name
search, firstname search, lastname search, nickname
search, or combination search) can be done?
 I am thinking to dump this big oracle table to a
plain text file, then read in and index by using
Lucene. But now sure how to arrange these fields to
get a good/fast result.

Thanks.
David