lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Victor Hadianto <vict...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: Merging indexes and removing duplicates.
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 04:00:18 GMT
> Another simple solution would be to just accept duplicates in index, but
> remove them from the results before returning result set.
> This should work ok as long as there is a unique field to use for weeding
> out dups, and if number of duplicates is reasonably low.

Yes we do have a unique field to identify the document, so I can check if
there are two documents with the same id in the result set then they are
duplicates and just return the unique documents. This may work.

The only issues here is when the number of "workers" increase the number of
duplicates increase as well. Having said that, we probably won't have more
than 16 workers anyway.

> Also, if originally work is split to workers by a single controller entity,
> that entity might be able to check for duplicates reasonably efficiently...
> but it sounded like sheer amount of documents to handle leads to huge
> number of ids to store, for checking duplicates.

Hmm unfortunately this won't work because of the nature of the system. Each
worker doesn't know what the other are working and there is no single entity
that control the distribution of works to the worker. To make thing
complicated each worker can be doing different stage (not only doing Lucene
indexing).

victor