lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Eric Isakson" <>
Subject RE: '-' character not interpreted correctly in field names
Date Mon, 12 May 2003 20:20:15 GMT
I just looked at the QueryParser.jj code, your field names never get processed by the analyzer.
It does look like the query parser will honor escapes though. I haven't tried this, but try
a query like "foo\-bar:foo" and have a look at the QueryParser.jj file for how it handles
field names when parsing your query.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Pipitone []
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2003 4:03 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: '-' character not interpreted correctly in field names

Hi Otis, Terry,

 >>>You can write a custom Analyzer that does not remove dashes from  >>>tokens,
and use it for both indexing and searching.  >>>  >>>This is a frequent
question and answer on this list.

Sorry for the noise, but I haven't been able to find a solution in the
mailing list archives, or by writing my own analyzer:

	public class MyAnalyzer extends Analyzer {
	public TokenStream tokenStream(String fieldName, Reader reader) 		{
		return new CharTokenizer(reader) {
			protected boolean isTokenChar(char c) {
				return Character.isLetter(c) || c == '-';

I parse a query like this:

	String queryString = "foo-bar:foo";
	String queryResult =
		QueryParser.parse(queryString, "body", new MyAnalyzer())

With the output:
	body:foo -bar:foo

But I would expect the output:

If I print out the tokens that MyAnalyzer produces I do get "foo-bar"
and then "foo".

Any pointers on what I'm doing wrong?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: