lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Miller" <ch...@swebtec.com>
Subject Re: Performance with a highly dynamic index
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 23:27:04 GMT
Well the searching load will be pretty heavy too. I don't have the numbers
handy but it would be in the region of many thousands per day. So the ratio
might not be as weighted in favour of the updates as you may think :-)
Regardless, The RAMDirectory looks good so far, as long as the size isn't an
issue (I should be able to figure that out tomorrow). If it gets up past a
couple of gigs or so we'll have a problem - I don't think we can move to a
64bit platform just yet!! :-)

Regarding the singleton, no problem at all. I'll throw it into application
scope at the servlet layer - it's not likely that we'll be using EJBs at
this stage. It'll mean we can also swap the index in/out from disk as the
app server starts up and shuts down easily by using the contextInitialized()
and contextDestroyed() events.

Cheers again for the help, much appreciated.