lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Rob Outar" <rou...@ideorlando.org>
Subject When is a good time to call optimize()
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:30:28 GMT
The product we are working on allows folks to add files to the index, remove
files from the index, add/remove fields from/to documents in the index, etc.
so the index changes quite a bit.  I was calling optimize after someone
added a file or removed a file but performance was poor.  After how many
changes should I call optimize?  I have noticed since I stopped calling
optimize I have TONS of files in my index folder... So I need to perodically
call optimize to cut down on the number of files... So I am curious what
other folks are doing.  So if anyone has an opinion/solution I would like to
hear it.

Thanks,

Rob