lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Simon Lieschke" <simon.liesc...@orionhealth.com>
Subject RE: HTMLDocument.java example
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 06:01:57 GMT
Uh-huh!

Reading the QueryParser source code (which I probably should have done first) reveals it will
first attempt to treat a range query as two dates, attempt to parse them and convert them
to string form using the DateField.dateToString method (which is how the dates are stored
in the index). Perhaps the comment HTMLDocument.java code snippet needs to be a bit more explicit
as to why the dates get stored in the format they do, so people like me don't get somewhat
confused.

Looking at the code also reveals there is currently no way to specify wildcards for dates
(like if I want to search all docs before a certain date, or all docs after a certain date).

Cheers,

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: Otis Gospodnetic [mailto:otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 8 April 2003 5:04 p.m.
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: RE: HTMLDocument.java example

I didn't really read all this carefully, but yes, you can use dates in
range queries with Lucene's QueryParser.  Query sytax page has the
details and should show the format of the date that a user would have
to enter in order for the QueryParser to correctly handle dates.
I guess you could always try to handle users' date input yourself in
your application and convert it to the format that QueryParser will
understand.

Otis