lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Armbrust, Daniel C." <Armbrust.Dan...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: Analyzer stopwords
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 16:00:06 GMT
So I should be able to safely use a list of stopwords while creating an index, and then not
pass in any stopwords when searching the index, and get the same behavior as if I had passed
in the list of stopwords - Since they weren't put into the index to begin with, they are impossible
to search with regardless of the stopwords that I use for searching.

************************************

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Isakson [mailto:Eric.Isakson@sas.com]
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 10:44 AM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: RE: Analyzer stopwords

I think Otis's example was backwards...

Consider a simple example:
When indexing you list 'house' as a stop word.
When searching you do not list 'house' as a stop word.

Consequence:
You did _not_ index 'house' terms, but you cannot find any documents if you search for 'house'.

The inverse is more interesting to make the point:
When indexing you do not list 'house' as a stop word.
When searching you list 'house' as a stop word.

Consequence:
You did index 'house' terms, but you cannot find any documents if you search for 'house' (because
it was removed from the query).
Your index is bloated with terms that can never be successfully searched.

Eric