lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Leo Galambos <Le...@seznam.cz>
Subject Re: When is a good time to call optimize()
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:09:18 GMT
It is evergreen of this list, I guess :-).

Nobody can tell you IMHO. You would execute it, when your app is in
"idle" state and you have changed the index significantly.

I've already implemented an algorithm that does not need any optimize(),
because the index is optimized automatically (moreover it uses less file
handles - it is important when your app is under DoS time to time).
Unfortunately, this solution was implemented in another OSS JAVA search
engine, and it does not run with Lucene architecture AFAIK. I'm sorry.

-g-