lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <>
Subject Re: Indexing Growth
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 18:35:54 GMT
Rob Outar wrote:
> I took out the optimize() after the write and the index is growing but at
> like a 1kb rate, but now there are tons of 1kb files.  I assume at this
> optimize would fix this?  What is a good rule of thumb for calling
> optimize()?

Optimize should be called when you know you won't be modifying the index
for a while.  Calling it more frequently primarily just makes indexing

 > Will Lucene ever invoke an optimize() on it's own?

Yes.  An index that is never explicitly optimized will periodically be
in optimal format.  Not very often though.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message