lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.org>
Subject Re: differential indexing
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 08:32:08 GMT
Subhrajyoti Moitra wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to append one index to another. How should i do it?

Otis Gospodnetic wrote an article at about "merging indices" (Second Page)

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/03/05/lucene.html

HTH

Michael

> Let me explain my problem, probably people can suggest some better way..
>
> i have indexed a set of pdf documents. These documents are being retrieved from the DB.
I have a unique docId associated with each document. This is one of the fields in the index
entries. I am using pdfbox to parse the contents of the pdf document and convert it into text
for indexing.

> Scenario-I
> Now some one adds a new document to the DB. What i am presently doing is that, i retrieve
all the documents from the DB,
>  including the new one, and create a fresh index out of these set of documents. The problem
here is time.
> I have some 10,000 documents in my system, re-indexing every one of them again is taking
a hell-of-a long time.
> What i want is to "APPEND" the new document index-data to the existing index.
>
> Scenario-II
> When an existing document in the DB is changed i want to remove that document from the
index (this is easy since i have the unique docId with me) and add the new modified index-data
to the existing index, instead of again recreating the entire index.