lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.org>
Subject Re: HTMLDocument.java example
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 08:27:27 GMT
Simon Lieschke wrote:
> The example code that ships with Lucene includes the following snippet in HTMLDocument.java:
>
>     // Add the last modified date of the file a field named "modified".  Use a
>     // Keyword field, so that it's searchable, but so that no attempt is made
>     // to tokenize the field into words.
>     doc.add(Field.Keyword("modified",
> 			  DateField.timeToString(f.lastModified())));
>
> Now, I guess the point of this is so that we can search for HTML documents using Lucene's
range search syntax. But as far as I can tell, the result of DateField.timeToString(f.lastModified())
returns a non-human readable date format, hence the modified field will not really be "human
searchable" format. Is this an oversight in the example implementation, or am I just missing
something else here?

I always thought that this is necessary for being able to incrementally
update the index at some later stage, but I am not sure to be honest.

HTH

Michael