lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Eric Isakson" <Eric.Isak...@sas.com>
Subject RE: Analyzer stopwords
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:44:08 GMT
I think Otis's example was backwards...

Consider a simple example:
When indexing you list 'house' as a stop word.
When searching you do not list 'house' as a stop word.

Consequence:
You did _not_ index 'house' terms, but you cannot find any documents if you search for 'house'.

The inverse is more interesting to make the point:
When indexing you do not list 'house' as a stop word.
When searching you list 'house' as a stop word.

Consequence:
You did index 'house' terms, but you cannot find any documents if you search for 'house' (because
it was removed from the query).
Your index is bloated with terms that can never be successfully searched.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Armbrust, Daniel C. [mailto:Armbrust.Daniel@mayo.edu]
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 11:38 AM
To: 'Lucene Users List'
Subject: RE: Analyzer stopwords

I'm missing something obvious, I know it.... But, if I list 'house' as a stop word when I
am indexing, doesn't that mean that any occurrence of the word house is not indexed, and therefore
not findable in the index?  So it wouldn't matter if 'house' was in my stopwords list when
searching, because its not findable anyway?

When indexing you list 'house' as a stop word.
When searching you do not list 'house' as a stop word.

Consequence:
You did index 'house' terms, but you cannot find any documents if you search for 'house'.

Otis