lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Eric Isakson" <Eric.Isak...@sas.com>
Subject RE: Querying Question
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 22:22:42 GMT
This query.toLowerCase() lowercased your query to become:

name:\"checkpoint\" and  value:\"filenane_1\"

The keyword AND must be uppercase when the query parser gets a hold of it.

If your RepositoryIndexAnalyzer lowercases its tokens you don't need to do query.toLowerCase().
If it doesn't lowercase its tokens, you may want to modify it so that it does.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Outar [mailto:routar@ideorlando.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 5:11 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Querying Question

Hi all,

	I am a little fuzzy on complex querying using AND, OR, etc..  For example:

I have the following name/value pairs

file 1 = name = "checkpoint" value = "filename_1"
file 2 = name = "checkpoint" value = "filename_2"
file 3 = name = "checkpoint" value = "filename_3"
file 4 = name = "checkpoint" value = "filename_4"

I ran the following Query:

name:\"checkpoint\" AND  value:\"filenane_1\"

Instead of getting back file 1, I got back all four files?

Then after trying different things I did:

+("name:\"checkpoint\") AND  +(value:\"filenane_1\")

it then returned file 1.

Our project queries solely on name value pairs and we need the ability to query using AND,
OR, NOTS, etc..  What the correct syntax for such queries?

The code I use is :
 QueryParser p = new QueryParser("",
 new RepositoryIndexAnalyzer());
 this.query = p.parse(query.toLowerCase());
 Hits hits = this.searcher.search(this.query);

Thanks as always,

Rob