lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Morus Walter <morus.wal...@tanto-xipolis.de>
Subject Re: Filtering the entire index
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 06:33:23 GMT
Hi Ryan,

> I would like to be able to search the entire index and use only the Lucene
> filters for results.  I had a lot of trouble searching for date and int
> ranges using terms and consequently used the ChainableFilter code (thanks to
> Kelvin Tan) which works like a charm as long as I include some query.  I can
> not see a way of just using * as a query (cant start search with * etc)
>
> Of course the idea of saying search everything in the index just to let the
> filters do the work seems a bit daft to me so possibly I'm on the completely
> wrong track?

What's the use of a query in this scenario?
I mean, if you have a filter describing the documents you want to find,
you can simply loop over the filter and fetch the documents, for which the
bit is set, using a IndexReader.
Ok, it's a few lines of code to write (<= 10 I guess) but I don't see any
advantage from combining this with a query.

Morus