lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Amit Kapur" <amitka...@newgen.co.in>
Subject Problem while indexing
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 05:13:38 GMT

hi all

I m facing problems like mentioned below while indexing, If anyone has any
help to offer i would to obliged....
**** couldn't rename segments.new to segments ****
**** F:\Program Files\OmniDocs Server\ftstest\_3cf.fnm (Too many open
files)****

I am trying to index documents using Lucene generating about 30 MB of index
(Optimized) which can be raised to about 100 MB or More ( but that would be
on a high end server machine).

Description of Current Case:
#---Each Document has four fields (One Text field, and 3 other Keyword
Fields).
#---The analyzer is based on a StopFilter and a PorterStemFilter.
#---I am using a Compaq PIII, 128 MB RAM, 650 MHz.
#---mergeFactor is set to 25, and I am optimizing the index after adding
about 20 Documents.
#---Using Lucene Release 1.2

Problem Faced
After adding about 4000 Documents generating an index of 30 MB, I initially
got an error saying, **** couldn't rename segments.new to segments ****
after which the IndexReader or the IndexWriter to the current index couldnot
be opened.

Then I changed a couple of settings,
#---mergeFactor=20 and Optimize was called after ever 10 documents.
#---Using Lucene Release 1.3

Problem Faced
After adding about 1500 Documents generating an index of 10 MB, I initially
got an error saying, **** F:\Program Files\OmniDocs Server\ftstest\_3cf.fnm
(Too many open files)**** after which the IndexWriter to the current index
couldnot be opened.

Now my requirement needs to have a much much larger index (practically) and
I am actually at the point where these errors are coming unpredictably.

Please if anyone could guide me on this ASAP.
Thanx in advance

Regards
Amit

PS: I have already read articles in the mail archieve
http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg02815.html.