lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Leo Galambos <galam...@com-os2.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
Subject Re: Potential Lucene drawbacks
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 23:38:40 GMT
> > That class cannot be used in Merger. RemoteSearchable is a class that
> > allows you to pass a query to another node, nothing less and nothing
> > more
> > AFAIK.
>
> What is Merger?  Verb, noun, an IR concept, a name of the product or
> project?  Merging of results from multiple searchers from multiple
> indices?

Ooops. SegmentMerger, the central class in org.apache.lucene.index.

> That is the difference between a simple library and a targeted
> application.

Right. On the other hand, when you want to use the library for such
application, it must allow you the things.

> > Moreover, I think that Lucene can do much more than you think Otis
> > :).
> > Egothor can do that, so why not Lucene?
> Yes, Lucene can do more than I think it can, why not.
> Maybe this is being done already...with Lucene... ;)

...and that is why I would like to see the object model (UML+notes). In
the model we can find the answer if Lucene can do more than we think :).
The point, where I am lost, is Searchable (and subclasses). Have you not
already written a paper about it?

-g-