lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Leo Galambos <galam...@com-os2.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
Subject Re: Potential Lucene drawbacks
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 21:48:41 GMT
> If I understand you correctly, then maybe you are not aware of
> RemoteSearchable in Lucene.

That class cannot be used in Merger. RemoteSearchable is a class that
allows you to pass a query to another node, nothing less and nothing more
AFAIK.

> This is the point that's more clear to me now.  There is confusion
> about what Lucene is and what it is not.  Lucene does not even try to
> be what those services you mentioned are.  Their goals are different,
> they are a different set of tools.  Lucene's focus is on indexing text
> and searching it.  It is not a tool to query other existing search

I do not think so. It is all about the object model you use. If you are
not able to solve the simplest case, how can you distribute the engine
across the network? I do not mean the simple RMI gateways which marshall
parameters and send them through a network pipe, I mean the true system
that could beat google (and it is another topic...).

Moreover, I think that Lucene can do much more than you think Otis :).
Egothor can do that, so why not Lucene?

-g-