lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Magnus Johansson <mag...@technohuman.com>
Subject Re: QueryParser and compound words
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:19:23 GMT
Well, the problem arise when a user enters a query with a compound word
and the compound word itself is not indexed, only one of its parts.

For example the index contains a document with the following word:
fotboll (football).

Let's say the users searches for fotbollsmatch (football game). The word
is split into fotboll and match and the phrase "fotboll match" is
searched for.
The user finds no matching document.

Comparing this to english the user would have found a document, however
scored
slightly lower than a document containing both the words football and game.

I agree with you that this might not be a problem. The user could be
instructed
to reformulate his query. However the behaviour for an english index and
a swedish
index would be different.

/magnus