lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Need help in changing the search score
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:36:21 GMT
Ching-Pei Hsing wrote:
> Even if we boost the Name by 10 like the following query, It's still the
> same.
>
> query = (NAME:inn NAME:comfort NAME:shampoo)^10 (MMNUM:inn MMNUM:shampoo
> MMNUM:comfort) (SMNUM:shampoo SMNUM:comfort SMNUM:inn)

In the 1.2 release, I don't think this sort of boosting (of a complex
clause) has any affect.  To do what you want in 1.2 you need to instead
formulate this as follows, boosting individual terms only:

(NAME:inn^10 NAME:comfort^10 NAME:shampoo^10) (MMNUM:inn MMNUM:shampoo
MMNUM:comfort) (SMNUM:shampoo SMNUM:comfort SMNUM:inn)

This is fixed in the pre-1.3 sources.  In 1.3 there will also be a query
explanation feature and extensible scoring, both of which could be
useful to you.  But I suspect that just boosting the individual terms,
as above, will meet your needs now.

Doug