lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Potential Lucene drawbacks
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 23:00:54 GMT

--- Leo Galambos <galambos@com-os2.ms.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
> > If I understand you correctly, then maybe you are not aware of
> > RemoteSearchable in Lucene.
>
> That class cannot be used in Merger. RemoteSearchable is a class that
> allows you to pass a query to another node, nothing less and nothing
> more
> AFAIK.

What is Merger?  Verb, noun, an IR concept, a name of the product or
project?  Merging of results from multiple searchers from multiple
indices?

> > This is the point that's more clear to me now.  There is confusion
> > about what Lucene is and what it is not.  Lucene does not even try
> > be what those services you mentioned are.  Their goals are
> different,
> > they are a different set of tools.  Lucene's focus is on indexing
> text
> > and searching it.  It is not a tool to query other existing search
>
> I do not think so. It is all about the object model you use. If you
> are
> not able to solve the simplest case, how can you distribute the
> engine
> across the network? I do not mean the simple RMI gateways which
> marshall
> parameters and send them through a network pipe, I mean the true
> system that could beat google (and it is another topic...).

That is the difference between a simple library and a targeted
application.

> Moreover, I think that Lucene can do much more than you think Otis
> :).
> Egothor can do that, so why not Lucene?

Yes, Lucene can do more than I think it can, why not.
Maybe this is being done already...with Lucene... ;)

Otis