lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Samuel Alfonso "Velázquez" "Díaz" <samue...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Regarding Setup Lucine for my site
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 16:28:41 GMT

Please point me to the web link to read more about lucene, I have read all the documentation
with the distribution (which is all most the same as the lucene.apache.org site).
About the problem you mentioned about URL to file mapings, what about if I issue a code line
like
  myurl = URLEncode.encode(myurl);
wouldn't that solve posibly malformed URLs at the web app level?
* On the other hand I'm using org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML wich was provided with the
documentation. Is there any problem using this demo class for a web production site?
I'm an application developer and it would be hard to understand the hole lucene code to use
it. It would be almost imposible for my develop phase timings to try to do this.
* Regarding you comment: Lucene does not index web pages. I thougth lucene main goal was to
index web pages ¿? and as an after thougth it should be able to index text files or some other
information (for example mail databases).
Regards and thanks for your comments!!!!!!!
I'm considering egothor search engine. I succesfully set a web application for searching my
web site but I didn't see a mailing list or a forum with the level of participation like lucene.
:D
Greatings to every one!!
 Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:Samuel,

Some basic understanding of what Lucene is what is missing here.
Lucene does not index web pages.
Lucene indexes text.
Lucene is not automatically aware of your wb site nor your domain.
Lucene is aware only of what you 'feed it' at index time.
If you index files, which IndexDemo does, Lucene index will have only
information about files (information such as file path). Lucene has no
clue that you really want to index your web site.
Even if you could replace C:\..... with http://.... it wouldn't be a
good solution, as directory structures and file paths do not always map
directly to URLs.

In short, you have a bit more reading to do :)
The information is all there, it just has to be read :(
Good luck!

Otis