lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Seth Weiner" <s...@duke.edu>
Subject RE: Lucene Turbine Service
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2003 20:04:17 GMT
Kelvin,

Have you had a chance to check in any of your search subsystem
components?  I know it's been a while since I mentioned the issue, but
I'd love to make some headway on a solid Turbine search subsystem for
general consumption.

Thanks,
Seth

-----Original Message-----
From: Kelvin Tan [mailto:kelvin-lists@relevanz.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2003 8:17 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: RE: Lucene Turbine Service

Seth,

I had been meaning to do it for awhile, but inertia was overwhelming.
Then I recently needed to be able to modify the configuration of the
service at runtime, and Fulcrum didn't support that, so I just
refactored my way out of it. :-)

Why had I been wanting to do it? well, on hindsight, I think it never
was a good candidate for a turbine service in the first place. the
way i see it, a good candidate requires

a) Lifecycle support
b) Configuration
c) Pluggable implementations

For LuceneSearchService, a) was minimal, b) yes but not a big factor
and c) turned out to be impractical. I had hopes of creating a
SearchService where one could plug-in various implementations (check
out
http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg01461.htm
l) but gave up in the end.

Let me see if I can cleanup the subsystem I've refactored out and
check it in to Sandbox, then maybe we can discuss from there?

KT

For additional commands, e-mail: