lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Rishabh Bajpai" <r_baj...@lycos.com>
Subject Document.setBoost(float??) |
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 06:54:50 GMT

i mite be missing something, but i didnt find any Document.setBoost(float) {is it float?}
either in the javadocs (http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/api/index.html), or in the Lucene
source code(lucene-1.2_src) that i looked into....

can anyone tell me how we use this, and what is the implementation?

what i have understood is that the score calculation associated with a document changes if
we give a boost factor. but i am not clear as to why we want the document score to change
like this; rather each of the field's score within the document should vary? Suppose i am
searching for "i am rishabh"....i want to boost "rishabh" when i am tokenizing this phrase
and indexing it...this would essentially mean that "rishabh" shold have a greater relevancy
than "i" and "am" in each of the documents to which these fields are added?

so, basically, the question is - should the boost factor of the document not be some function
of all the fields' relevance (that are added to it), rather tahn it just being a simple boost
factor.

if i were to crudely interpret it this way, how can i calculate the boost factor that i give
as an argument to this method-even if i have to pass it as a parameter??

i think these are two different things; or am i missing something?

-rishabh